The City of Canal Winchester is committed to providing safe, accessible streets during inclement weather and encourages residents to do their part by shoveling sidewalks.
The city’s policy for salting and plowing streets is to begin with arterial streets such as Columbus Street, Gender Road, High Street, Washington Street and Waterloo Street. Plowing of arterial streets will be followed by major streets within subdivisions, secondary streets within subdivisions, cul-de-sacs, alleys and then parking lots.
“The city’s street department works diligently to keep roads clear during inclement weather. We appreciate your patience during the snow removal process,” said Mayor Michael Ebert.
Mayor Ebert added, “Keeping sidewalks clear of snow and ice is the responsibility of the property owner. You can help make sidewalks around your business or residence safer for those in our community by shoveling a path around your property in a timely manner each time there is snow accumulation. By working together, we can help minimize the effects of snow and ice on our streets and sidewalks.”
Cleared sidewalks are also imperative to assist our local police, fire, and EMS.
Helpful Tips for Residents:
- Clear public sidewalks and bike paths in front of your home or business.
- Do not shovel snow onto streets, alleys, or bike paths.
- Shovel snow into small piles instead of large piles. Small piles will melt quicker and are less likely to develop into dangerous ice banks.
- Do not pile snow beside fire hydrants or dumpsters.
- Avoid parking on streets during snowy or icy conditions.
- Clear snow around mailboxes.
- Help neighbors in need who may be elderly, sick, disabled, or unable to shovel for any reason.
With your help, snow removal can run smoothly. If you have any questions about the snow removal policy, please call 614-834-5100.